Thursday, January 19, 2012

iBuds

iBuds by mom2rays
iBuds, a photo by mom2rays on Flickr.
I have historically had the hardest time with in the ear and over the ear headphones. They don't like my anatomy. They fall out or off in a very short time. Even bluetooth devices. It's been much to my consternation because I would love to listen to books or music sometimes just by myself, but I haven't been able to find a solution.
Jenny, my knitting buddy, mentioned how the iPhone standard ear buds worked sufficiently for her so I decided to go home and resurrect mine, sealed in my iPhone box and give them a try. Would you know, they stayed in!
I just had to deal with the 2nd reason why I don't get along with most of these types of gadgets. Tangles.
I had seen icorded headphones on Ravelry, as a solution so I decided that if I was going to be carrying mine around, they needed sleeves.
A few Netflix selections and scrap sock yarn knitting later and voila! iBuds!
The final solution needed was how to transport them in my bag without damage, and how to easily locate them. There's nothing like deciding you need something and not being able to find it!
Here's where the Tom Bihn Mini Cordura Organizer Pouch in Wasabi comes in. Looking at it, it's not anything super special, but these little pouches, and their friends are now the mainstay of the organization and upkeep of my Every Day Carry bag!
When I purchased my first TB bag, these Organizer Pouches came highly recommended. I didn't get it though. It took ordering a few and playing around with them to find out their secret.
They come in 6 fabrics, Cork, Ballistic, Cordura, Clear front Cordura, Dyneema ripstop and Padded. They come in 7 sizes, mini, small, pencil, medium, super drive, large and now Kindle. The color choices are dependent on what TB has on hand, but usually range the gamut of colors available in their bags.
I currently use in my EDC mini sizes in Cork, Iberian Dyneema, Azalea and now the Wasabi Cordura. In small size, Ultraviolet Dyneema and a special gift to forum members a Friend of Tom pouch. The pouches are flat construction and the fabrics light weight so they don't take up significant room or weight, but they add an immeasurable amount of organization to my bag. They are like pockets, but each one a different size/fabric combination so it's SO EASY to find anything in my bag. It's also easy to find out if I've put something in that doesn't belong. It's NOT in an Organizer Pouch.
Lastly the clip keeps them secure, and easy to find whether clipped to an internal o-ring in my bag, or a keystrap, they don't fall out or get accidentally left out and lost, and they don't settle into the bottom of the black hole in my bag.
They also are useful in travel or in children's bags for corralling those little things that seem to go missing into corners or under the bottom of the bulky stuff. They are useful by themselves as a grab and go pouch for anything from medicine pouch to a place to keep books from getting dogeared in your bag. And that's one more thing that I love about them. Since I've started using them, my contents are protected and remain looking nicer because they aren't being beat up floating in my bag.
So if you couldn't tell, I love TB organizer Pouches. They are fun little accessories, that make a huge impact in the organization of my life, and more specifically my bags. :)

No comments: