Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Sing to the LORD a new song

Worship? Practice?

Psalms 96:1 
Oh sing to the LORD a new song; sing to the LORD, all the earth!

I love to sing.  I love worshiping.  I feel that God gave me a voice and love for music to lift him up in praise.  I have been a singer since I was very little.  My first memories of singing in a talent show was when I was 7.  I sang the Rainbow Connection dressed as Kermit the Frog.

Growing up, I had many more talent shows to participate in, and when I returned home from college, I was asked to serve in my church as a worship leader.  It didn't happen at first, but singing praise songs took on a whole new light.  God showed me that I was singing to Him, and not to an audience.  My "performance" transformed to "worship".

Sometime in my college days I purchased a classical guitar.  I took a few lessons, and tried to learn how to play, but I had chosen the wrong guitar for me, so I wasn't very successful.
Flash forward a little over 20 years.  I now have a different Guitar, two actually, that I am regularly practicing, and learning on again.

I love to sing and play worship and praise songs.  They bring forth an emotional connection with God that stirs so deep within.  They allow me to pour out to God admiration and praise for who he is, and bask in who I am in Him.  They encourage me to celebrate the creativity and uniqueness he created within me.  They solidify my identity.

It's taken me much of my life to "find myself".  I now know it's not important who I am, but whose I am.

No comments: