Sunday, April 15, 2007

new workroom

Before you get all excited I am still in the same room. I just love it now. I've been realizing how first my sewing work with the professional workroom to sew home decorations, and now the dance bags and other merchandise has been an answer to prayer. With both of them I was happy to have the work and potential for extra income, but didn't seem them for the GIFT that they truly are. Thankfully God has opened my eyes to see and I am so grateful. I am going to be in this room a lot more in the future creating so I needed to get it ready for work. The first thing was to organize my fabric and yarn stash. I had this idea a few weeks ago from one of my new knitting books to organize my yarn y color vs. by fiber type. I didn't want to mess with all of the yarn though so I put it off. That is until last night (Friday night) when I was reading a blog link my mommy sent and found a link for fabric stash organization. I really loved how her work looked so today when I put the boys down for nap I started folding the fabric. I folded all of my yardage and you can see it in the bins to the right. It's all organized by color. I can get 3 stacks per bin. I ran out of room when I got to the red so I stacked it on top. The white pile on top is wadding, stabilizer and interfacing. The large basket on top has been relocated and contains the yarn surplus.
To the left I finally organized my yarn by color and I LOVE it, both how it looks and the ideas I'm starting to get by mixing things up. Before I just saw all of the wool yarn and it looked messy and disorganized. Now I see the color values next to each other and can use them within the hue or across the spectrum.
This picture is taken several hours later after I had worked through some other issues in the room like moving the baker's rack. It has all of my fq's and scraps and still needs to be folded in collapsible baskets. It also houses the 4 vintage/antique machines I'm keeping. Singer 201, Peaches (301A), Genie (354), and Baby Kenny (1040). The other 5 I plan to sell.
Back to the stash. . . I also added a tier to my fabric stacker and put the red into it. I moved my postage supplies on top of that and moved the white stack over. I like it better here.
This is the room from the door. No I haven't finished my sewing room wall hanging, but I had forgotten about it so I pinned it up to remind me to finish it.
I moved SK to the middle so that I can more easily use Serge or BMK. I also gained a little extra room on SK's table for larger items I'm sewing. Rocky pulled my thread racks down so that I could move my baker's rack but they will need to be put up later. Right now they are cluttering up my flat surfaces a little but I'm so happy with my room redo I don't mind. One other thing I really like about this new arrangement is that my table has a long side against the wall instead of a short side so now I have plenty of room to walk between my work table and my sewing areas. Before I had to really squeeze to get through when my chair was there.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Mandi said...

Wow...nice job!

Anonymous said...

You drank the fabric folding Kool-aid! How fun! It's it incredible how that neat folding trick works. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and your stash looks beautiful!

I'm enjoying your blog and thanks for the linky love!
- Monica :o)

Karina said...

wow, thats amazing, all your bookshelfs are gone and no computer desk.. wow, you have lots more room.....