Monday, March 03, 2008

What happens when your baby spits and you knit. . .

My baby spits. . .
Her brother did before her. . .
She has reflux. It's not so uncommon in babies. It's not so uncommon to me. Two of my three children have had reflux. I thought Zuri wasn't spitting excessivly at first since I was comparing her to Mardie and he had a severe case. I just ALWAYS have to make sure that I have a burp cloth close buy because there will always be something coming up. Sometimes it's a trickle, sometimes it's in waves, sometimes it's a gush. But there's always something. I love my spitting babies. I feel for them though as it must be horrible to have heartburn all of the time. It must be uncomfortable to be wet a lot too.
I finally decided to do something for Z.
Today I designed, knit and completed a whole project! I cannot believe it as normally I don't get to knit for periods of time since the reflux makes for a somewhat fussy baby.
I made this:

It's a bib top. Not an original design in that I've seen these before, but an original idea as I haven't seen them before solely for the purpose of being a bib. It's knit in very soft organic cotton in seed stitch. It's shaped at the bottom and gathered at the neckline.
I finished the top edge with an applied i-cord and then crocheted the back straps and sewed buttons on the ends.
(Z is also wearing Chicken Butt for the first time today! It's so soft, the gathers don't bother her at all and it's a great soaker to hold pee too!)


You can see the tiny buttons here peeking through the fabric on the side.
The soaker is an interlock CuddleWool one-size diaper cover. I'm loving these with my Cuddlebunz and other brand one-size fitted diapers.


Here's a back view of the little tiny straps.
I'm so happy to be able to start and finish a project in a day again, let's hope this lasts!
I'm going to be making her some more of these but they will probably be different designs and styles. The common denominators will be that they are 100% organic cotton, and bib tops.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

muoriska said...

Oh how familiar, I have three children and 2 of them has reflux. It's quite undermined here in Finland and only last 5 years there has been open diskussion about it.

You want to trade or sell in ravelry Patons Classic Wool. Are you willing to ship to Finland?

You find me under name muoriska in ravelry.

Have a nice day.

Virtuous said...

GREAT project!!!! I would be cranking out tons of them!! :oD

And Z is really growing and I can "see" her face now!! Her own person!! Yah!!

Janet Richards said...

Awwwww - look at Miss Z's halter top. :) Great solution to reflux and her soaker that you made is too cute on her too!

Jennifer said...

ohhhhh, that is sooo cute, i love the criss cross back. i would have loved to see that in person. she is so cute