Monday, March 30, 2009

Happy Birthday??? The Herd has grown again! (for the last time)

When I started collecting sewing machines I wanted to get a Singer Featherweight, a machine in the 221 series. I just didn't think it would be possible. Everything I saw about them, the cost was too high for me to add one to my collection. If sewing was my livelyhood, and this machine would do something for me that no other one could, I could forsee it, but it isn't and doesn't so I had pretty much written off owning one.
Shortly after finding this machine love, I found out that one of our neighbors used to be the Regional Sales Director for Singer Co. for many years and happened to have a ton of stuff that he had obtained, collected, aquired, hoarded, etc. Including 3 featherweights. He however wanted current asking price so though there were 3 of them just up the road I still only had my sights set on one, and not until he significantly reuduced the price.
Well 2 weeks ago while conversing with yet another neighbor, he informed me that neighbor #1 came by to inform me that he had another buyer, and needed to know whether or not I wanted the machines, as he wanted to give me first dibs.
I had not spoken to him about these machines in over 3 years. He had not touched them in over 3 years when he had gotten them out to show me. I had not forgotten, and he at 89 had not either.
So I went to speak with him. He asked if I was still interested and mentioned his price. I almost choked on my spit. I cautiously asked him again. He repeated himself, and said he wanted me to have all three! I said, ahem, yes, but let me speak with my husband, as I turned on heel and levitated back to the van where Rocky was waiting to hear the bottom line.
That day after a bit of deliberation these two came home, to stay.
On the left a 1964 221-K with perfect paint and case.
On the right a 1951 Centennial 221-, commemorative machine marking Singer's 100 years of Sewing machine production and sales. Also with case, manual and accessories!

The third followed this Sunday, another 221- from 1948. There was one thing that we wanted to work out with the foot controller. Rocky got the controller from him, and an extra cord, and after about 10 minutes to replace the power cord, it worked!
The third one will be for sale after I have a chance to clean and recondition it and it's case.
I cannot believe how these machines were just placed right down the road for me in the hand of someone who had no desire to get rid of them until the right person came along. I will cherish the two that I keep!
So though I had a crappy birthday, with being sick and having sick kids and not even getting to go out or anything, this pretty much makes up for it! One of my crafty wishes has come true!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Yoga with Gaileee said...

Aren't those featherweight just so pretty!

yogawithgaileee at gmail dot com

Singer Featherweight 221-222K Blog

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I have the one with the green carrying case...from my grandma. :) It works beautifully! I'm so happy for your blessing!
~Elizabeth

Karina said...

So sorry your bday was not fun, but yea for your new "babies" I know you will love them!

Jennifer said...

yay for your new machines! sorry about your bday :(