Monday, March 23, 2009

New Wheel

While Rocky and I were in Glendora for New Pastor Training I got to try out a spinning wheel that has just been released to be sold March 1. Rocky said that I could get a 2nd wheel, and I have been searching most of 2008 for the perfect one. This one so far is it. I preordered it because I loved it so. My SpinOlution Bee.
She arrived March 11th!

Zuri was there to help me get the package, as you can see we opened it immediately, yes that's the front door behind Zuri. She thinks the bobbins look like her brother's tinker toys and immediately determined that whenever she saw one, she was going to try to confiscate it as hers.


This made it rather difficult for me to test my new wheel, which I have named Melina. It means Honey. The fluidity of honey is a good visualization for how she spins. This wheel is so smooth and easy to treadle.


But eventually I was able to finish up this yarn, 281 yards around dk weight merino hand dyed. Navajo plyed. This is tightly spun as it comes in at 7.7 oz.


I love Melina, she's a great wheel!
I plan to keep and still use Bellaranea my Bellus from Heavenly Handspinning. It is an Irish tension (flyer brake) whereas Melina is Scotch tension (bobbin break). This means that I can spin different kinds yarns with greater ease. There are other differences like Melina is more compact, though heavier, and has more range and faster speeds. Bellaranea has huge bobbins, and I have more of them. I am so thankful to my sister to introducting me to handspinning yarn. This has become one of my handcrafts that I really love to do!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: