Saturday, November 12, 2011

Finally spinning again!

  by mom2rays
, a photo by mom2rays on Flickr.

I picked up spinning yarn in 2008 after my sister introduced me to the concept via a spindle. Thankfully heavenly Handspinning made affordable spinning wheels or I wouldn't have picked up the hobby very well. I didn't get spindle spinning until about 6 months ago! I started with their single treadle wheel, the Fidelis. Some months later I had the pleasure and joy of going to meet Jan of Heavenly Handpinning in person. When I did she and her husband upgraded my Fidelis for their double treadle wheel the Bellus. I spun many lovely yards of yarn on Bellaranea (beautiful spinner). Now I have a Vespera, their espinner and a Spinolution Bee named Melina (Honey, because she spins so smooth). I haven't named or finished my Vespera yet, I got her inFebruary and honestly my life has been in such a whirlwind through getting her until now that I really haven't gotten much time with her,
She's FAST! Not that I spin super fast, but when I spin on her, she's going so fast! Her bobbins are also huge, that bobbin in my hand has 4 oz of fiber on it and it's not even close to being 1/2 full. This is only the 2nd yarn I've made on her. 33wpi for my singles. It's Polwarth from Urban Gypz that I purchased at Stitches South 2011.
Currently I'm spinning some Gale's Art Blue Face Swirl into similar singles so that I can ply them together. I had almost forgotten how much I love to spin!
Sometimes it's hard to be multi craftual because it's hard to decide which craft gets time and attention.

No comments: