Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Camella

My first green singer. She's a 285K Made in Canada, February 6, 1964. She's pretty complete except for one small screw that holds the spring inside the bobbin cover so that the bobbin cover actually can slide and latch into place. Also she had no presser foot so she's temporarily borrowing one for testing purposes from Cranky as they are similar machines and take the same shank size for presser feet. She's a 3/4 sized machine like Cranky, Goldie, Baby Kenny, and Genie. Like Cranky and Goldie she's super heavy though. (All that steele)
There is one small crack that I believe I can repair in the front corner of the case base. She had a ton of lint but not much dirt. I'm still in the process of cleaning her surfaces, a good wipe down should do it. I've cleaned her mechanisms inside and oiled/ lubed them all. She's in very good condition though for her 40+ years. All of her wiring is original. She has the original green bobbin winder tire, though it's grimy. I'm very happy with her, you see my first machine to learn to sew on was either one of these or a 185. I am still unsure which one as they look similar and my mom didn't know the model# to tell me. She sadly no longer has the machine. This one looked right, but the date is not right so I'm not sure. I'll have to let my mommy and sis look at it up close to let me know. I've been searching for this machine though since I started collecting.
Marshall, my eBay connection for Peaches, found her for me while garage saling two weeks ago. Rocky picked her up for me yesterday since he had a delivery near Marshall's home in SC. Thanks Marshall and Rocky! You did good;-}. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

congratulations on another great find! i know how happy u were to find this machine. it's nice that u have a connection :)