Friday, May 15, 2009

Baby girl gets her own room

It's almost completely finished. We have taken my craft room this week from full of yarn, fabric, fiber, patterns, tools, machines, etc. to this:

After dragging everything out we painted the walls a pretty purple. Rocky found cool Ikea storage shelves on craigslist so we went and picked them up. And lookee, EVERYTHING fits!


Not all of my stash/supplies left the closet, but much of it did and now Z's clothes, shoes and blankets fit nicely in here.


And today we finished the bed. I've never refinished furniture before. This was my bed from when I was a toddler until I was close to 8 I think. It had a dark stain finish and a cat decopage on the footboard. Very vintage, very retro, very icky after being in storage for 20+years.
It's a youth bed. Bigger than a crib/toddler smaller than a twin. We had painted it white and used it for the boys nursery from when M was born. I didn't want white for Zuri and the boys had been rough on the finish so it was going to need some touching up anyway so I stripped it down to the bare wood. Hours of stripping, sanding, peeling, picking, etc. later and a coat of satin poly finish and voila. The beautiful Cherry bed comes to life!


Now we just need to get her bedding, hang a few wall decorations and the window treatment and her room will be complete!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You did an excellent job with the bed! :) The room looks great! All your hard work has paid off! :)

Loves ya,
Elizabeth

Michelle said...

Very nice. So where is all your crafting supplies?

doreen said...

well the sewing machines are in the bonus room, see previous post. The stash, WIPS, books and my first spinning wheel are in my bedroom. And some of the over flow is still in Z's closet.

Jennifer said...

oh girl it looks beautiful! ya'll did a great job!

Karina said...

It looks sooo nice!