Friday, September 02, 2011

The search for the perfect school desks

School desks by mom2rays
School desks, a photo by mom2rays on Flickr.
We are just about ready to start back schooling. We admittedly took a summer break, though when opportunities arose we schooled in this summer.

My homeschool "space" has been a big frustration to me. I haven't figured out how to find a niche in my home that fits all of the HS stuff I have, and I haven't figured out yet how to cull things down and let things go. So we have cluttered resources and very little space.

Last year I switched from our little "desks", we were repurposing our Babee Tenda Feeding tables, to a table that we could all sit at.

First I had a little one from an old school room. It fit my space, but not my knees (though the kids fit it just fine). Then Rocky found for me a larger table, but we had not accurately measured the dimensions we needed so this table is WAY too big. The space we had is now crowded and not functional for what we need to do. That wasn't the only problem. The kids are all at such different levels, and Mardie and Zuri still need quite a bit of instruction from me, so time at the table all together meant that at least one person was being distracted almost all of the time. I decided we needed to go back to desks and if we want to use a table the kitchen table or bar will work just fine.

My dilemma was that I didn't feel the feeding tables were the best choice. They are sturdy and adjustable, but the lip around the edge kept the kids from having proper ergonomics and they just didn't feel right.

I was very fortunate to find these donated desks at the Habitat for Humanity restore. They evidently had served their purpose at the local community college, and were not going to continue to be used. The original donation was reportedly large, but when I looked, only these 3 desks remained. American Seating, adjustable height, industrial strength that would withstand daily use and grow with the kids through graduation. . .they were EXACTLY what I was looking for! And at $8 each I could not beat the price anywhere!

We are almost finished with repainting the metal parts and just need to figure out the material we will use for the replacement tops. I asked the kids what colors they wanted their desks to be. I will post pictures of them when they are all done and put back together.

This small step will hopefully help our small homeschool space to be maximized again for our use :)

1 comment:

Karina said...

love these, cant wait to see them all done!