Sunday, September 25, 2011

Simpler Toys for Simpler Times

  by mom2rays
, a photo by mom2rays on Flickr.
Recently we have significantly cut back on TV, videogames and computer time for the kids and guess what? I have new kids! Suddenly reading, constructing a megastructure or drawing an illustrated picture is fun. Imagine that!

I love this and want to wholeheartedly encourage it because it has been kind of a hard transition for the kids from what they are used to and it's my fault for compromising on what I knew to be the case.  If they don't have those distractions, they recreate themselves in a more creative way.

Today when we were shopping for groceries at Yoder's Amish Market, Charmie found a yoyo and Zuri found some stamps (her latest fixation). Mardie wasn't with us because this was his special weekend with his grandparents for his birthday.

I was kind of surprised that Charmie and Zuri were fascinated with the toys they selected. Usually they are interested in Legos or dolls or other more complicated toys. These were simple. . .

I decided to make Mardie's toy since he wasn't there to pick it out. By choosing something different from Charmie, they can both learn new skills, and there should be less competition between them over newly gained skills. Hopefully, I may even see them encouraging one another o.O

Mardie's footbag is made with green embroidery floss and craft thread with a size C hook. The pattern is a free Ravelry download. It was rather quick to make and I stuffed it with Poly Pellets vs. lentils in case it gets wet and needs a cleaning.

I am thinking of trying to make a set of juggling balls as a Christmas present for a special someone who wants to learn how to juggle.

No comments: