Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Not quite a dumpster dive.

Today on the way home from running errands with my mom and the boys I saw the familiar shape of a sewing machine tucked in the grass by the side of the road. I couldn't stop in time, but I made a u-turn and went back for it and upon stopping saw the homeowner in the yard. I asked if I could take this home, he said yes. I asked if it worked, he said, "I don't believe it do!"
I decided that for free I would just have to see about that so I brought it home. It had all kinds of bug guts, spider webs, plant debri, dust, dirt, fibers, grease, and who knows what else on it but I stuck it in the minivan for the short trip to my mom's house. Once there I grabbed a plastic bag to encase it just in case. After what I found inside I'm glad I did. More about that later.
It's a Singer Model 237 Fashion Mate. It was made in Monza, Italy between 1968 and 1972. The specific date of manufacture is not available for this Singer manufacturing location. It has straight stitch, and zig zag, forward and reverse. It seems in the vintage sewing community some swear by it's reputation for satin stitch.
Anyway after I got home and settled the boys for lunch/naps I plugged it in and what do you know, it worked! It was a little sluggish from the gunk inside, a little crunchy sounding too. Also the motor bolt was loose as was the light bolt so both of those were rattling around a bit, but since it powered up and moved I decided it was worth cleaning. I need the practice for a little eBay "treasure" coming later this week I hope. So I patiently waited until after dinner and started pulling off whatever I could. I took off the motor and light assembly with power cords, top and side covers, and bobbin race. The rest I pretty much left in tact. Somewhere around the time I pulled off the top cover I found a suprise inside. Dealt with that, then moved on to a deep cleaning, rinsing, blow drying, then lubrication and oiling.
She runs so nice and quiet! I still need a bobbin and bobbin case to see for sure if she will sew, and some rust remover to treat a few areas, but overall I'm really happy with how the restoration of my happenstance find worked out!
Hindsight being 20/20 I should have taken a before picture from when I first brought it home. the sm had been brushed off externally and somewhat wiped down with Lysol wipes before the first picture was taken. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

WOW, what a find. so glad u were able to restore it. it just makes u feel good when ur able to make a find like that!