Sunday, September 23, 2007

Zuri's Pinwheel is finished!

I've been working on this for about a month. This is the baby blanket I've been planning to make for my sweet Zuri for a while. I'm very happy with the finished product. I chose a lime green cotton dk weight for the body of the blanket. I struggled for an edging idea. I wanted to maybe try my hand at lace, but I also wanted to have a contrast boarder and hadn't picked out the yarn yet. The ladies from Universal Yarns suggested one of their tape yarns similar to Tango that they just happened to have enough of to trim my blanket. It was a perfect match on the green and the purple and royal blue are very complementary, though the blue barely shows on the front. I crocheted it on after binding off the cotton, vs. knitting it on like I did in the ruffle soaker. I like the ruffled effect but it's a pretty labor intensive process to either knit or crochet on. It reminds me of the deliberate stitches I took when I first began knitting and crocheting.
I have enough cotton remaining to make her something else that matches. I'm thinking a kimono or little dress and maybe a matching hat. Now that this is done I can progress to some of the other projects that I've been wanting to start though.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Virtuous said...

Wow that was fast for me! LOL :op

Looks really nice D!

Hey can you actually "buy" yarn directly from Universal Yarns or only from Rave Knits??
You can e-mail me at crimsondiva1999@yahoo.com

doreen said...

You cannot buy directly from UY. The yarn came from RK but it was UY ladies's suggestion. Unfortunately this particular color is no longer made either. That was what I meant by just enough. They do have plenty of other pretty color ways in Tango. Just check out the UY website!

Janet Richards said...

I love it - the cotton really shimmers in the photo - and I love the ruffle. One-of-a-Kind!!!!

I want to see a close up of the ruffle can you email me a pic closer up - it looks really good!!!

Karina said...

it is so nice and unique!