Friday, July 29, 2005

Bubble Bag


Image hosted by Photobucket.com



Janet inspired me to make the Vintage Bubble Bag from Pursenalities. I used the above pictured yarns. Plymouth Outback 100% wool and the cone yarn which I belive is Brown Sheep. I'm not sure of the colorway for either because my lables are long gone. This is my leftovers. My sister's first bubble bag was the same color of Plymouth Outback so I used her leftovers first, then added mine. I made the pattern about 30% larger than the instructions called for by increasing the number of stitches and rows. I wanted a larger bag. I started this late late on Wednesday night after I used all of the sari silk I had on the other bag that I'm making. I have some more silk coming via the mail so as soon as it arrives I'll be working on that bag again! Hopefully it will be tomorrow.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comHere's the bag after I finished knitting it and sewing on the handles but before washing it. I don't know why some of my pictures come out so small, but normally it's the ones like this one where I really want to demonstrate size! UGGGG, since you can't read it, the measure tapes are measuring about 23 inches in both directions. So far I'm pleased with the ease of the pattern and design and the look of the bag. Now to get to fulling!

After 2 cycles in my front loader,some delicate wash, baking soda and 3 kettles of boiling water voila!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com Here's my finished bag, stuffed with a superwash wool blanket and still damp. I like how the colors of the yarn worked together and the overall shape of the bag. I cannot wait for it to finish drying so that I can use it!
It measures 29.75" around it's widest point and 10" from base to rim. The handles stretched a little because I was pulling and shaping the bag with the heavy blanket inside, LOL they measure 27" now but started out being 20" before felting. I may toss this into the dryer with the blanket inside of it to dry it quick and let it full a little more around the blanket.
The cycle in the dryer did exactly what I wanted it too. It dried the bag and shrunk the handles and removed the little disortion I had from stretching the bag by hand! It is finished!

3 comments:

Janet Richards said...

love the bag!!! That turned out great! I like how the colors mixed together. I have got to make myself one of those. Isn't it soo easy, but looks much more complicated :) Love that. I am torn b/c I love that and the s&B bag both. I'll have to make one of each for me after I get done with my Christmas bags!! :)

Christi said...

That is sooooo adorable!!!! I really like this bag!! great work!!

Karina said...

looks great! yr work is awesome:)