Monday, July 18, 2005

Going for a spin


Image hosted by Photobucket.com



My sis put a bug in my head about spinning my own yarn after she had a run in with some FFF's (fellow fiber finatics) I decided I wanted to try my hand at it but I didn't have any spare cash to buy a hand spindle, so as usual I turned to my trusty internet sources to figure out how to make my own. Luckily for me Hobby Lobby was having a 1/2 off sale on all unfinished wood so one dowl cost $.22 and my whorls were $.49 each. I got a package of picture hanging hardware from the framing department and used the tiny eye hooks with screw ends and used my plier to open it up into a hook. When I mentioned getting out the radial saw to cut the spindles Rocky jumped up and volunteered to cut my dowel down to 3-12" pieces. . . I just pushed the whorl onto the dowl, added a daub of wood glue to make it stay, screwed in my hook and then dremmeled the other end to death until I got a suitable blunt point for resting the spindle on a surface. With babies anything more pointy sounded like a bad idea. As it was Charmie was begging me for the "stick" right after I got home. Lord only knows what he intended to do with it! Maybe I'll pick up another whorl piece and make a top down spindle. I plan to give the top spindle in the picture to my sister so that she can have a whirl herself from time to time.

3 comments:

PBnJ said...

oh yay! i bought a drop spindle years ago and tried it for a bit. i had fun... i have no idea why i didn't keep it up, heh.

i love the tut for making your own too! i only paid $15 for my pre-made spindle but making your own is obviously even cheaper, hehe. hmmm i think you've inspired me to make a Hobby Lobby shopping trip this upcoming weekend, hahah.

ive subbed your blog and can't wait to see what yarns you make with your new toys!!

Donna said...

I've never tried this, but your entry has peaked my interest. I may check out some sites to see what's up.

Janet Richards said...

I'm so excited to find out I will have my own spindle. Now I have to get some roving right away to spin!!!! :)