Tuesday, July 12, 2005

yarn scraps. . . . skirt?


Image hosted by Photobucket.com


On our recent vacation I enjoyed visiting with Rocky's Aunt Patty becasue I really feel as though we have similar likes. . . shopping and yarn! She had this awesome idea and I have to say I copied it. She resourcefully used yarn from her past projects to make these beautifully striped scarves. Each one was unique and so fun looking. I haven't done much with the novelty yarns that she had for her scarves and Actually I don't have much yarn that's in a similar color family, but luckily my sister did and was willing to graciously part with her scraps. We raided her scrap bin for pinks and she gave me some neat yarns that I've never worked with before. After getting them home I found some other yarn scraps from her that went with the theme and the yarn ball above is the result. I cut the scraps into 15 and 20+ foot lengths and tied them together then wound it all into this ball. I was shooting for abut 400 yds. Just seeing the ball was exciting. I could really see how the yarn colors and textures would work together as I wound them up. I have been wanting a knitted skirt and liked the one in The Knitting Experience, The Knit Stitch, knit-round around scarf. I think the fact that they model the scarf in Noro made me see how beautiful it would be in stripes.

Here's the finished product. I'm quite pleased and it passes the Hubby test as well.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


7 comments:

Janet Richards said...

very, very cute! I like it!! :)

Jennifer said...

oh my goodness!! i love it! it looks so cute! very impressed!

Donna said...

I love the skirt and the idea of tieing your scaps together. Are the scarves that are made in this fashion made with the stripes going the lenght or width?

Christi said...

That is soo cool! I love it!!

Amy O'Neill Houck said...

This is so beautiful and inspiring!!

PBnJ said...

sweet!! i love the thin random stripies!

Karina said...

wow, a skirt!