Saturday, June 03, 2006

Big Momma's hat

Most families I know have a Big Momma. I didn't think it was fair for just BK to have a name so I named my other machines. My Embroidery Machine is Big Momma Kenny, or BMK.
Ya'll know the Big Momma type. Always able to do stuff for you that's so sweet and kind like having a special snack ready when you visit. Always wearing LOUD clothes proudly. Sometimes a little difficult to get along with 'cause she's tempermental. . . Ya'll know.
Well since I got my BMK used she had no hat. She's been getting too dusty though I give her a regular workout often and have cleaned her thoroughly twice. So I decided a few weeks ago that she needed a hat. It's just taken me this long to figure it out and make it.
This is a combined work from BMK, Serge and Sourgerner K (my sewing machine). BK and my singer had no part in this. I think BK and SK are a little jealous though IMHO BK's rose case is nothing to be ashamed of!
Having done this project I have learned some more things about quilting, monograming with varigated thread, starch and it's benefits and the fun of making a shaped and non-uniform slipcover! Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Karina said...

Oh wow, I REALLY really like this! soo cute! what is the sayin you have on it? so pretty and cool!

Jennifer said...

it looks really cute. what does the emroidery in the orange square say?
anyways, u can tell this is the favorite.....lol.

doreen said...

Sorry you can't see the quilting J, if you click the photo it gets much larger and I can see the quilting then on my pc. . . idk what your screen looks like though.
The quote is monogramed with the fonts on SK, not embroidered, and it's says, "She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. Proverbs 31:13" with no colon between 31 and 13 because my monogram font has no colon.
I realized I needed to clip some threads between the letters after I took the photo and that helped to clean it up but it's still hard to read. I used my walking foot since it was through quilted layers vs. my F foot for decorative stitches. That made some of the stitching bunch up a little. Also the varigated thread makes it difficult to read unless you are looking at it in person.
I guess you guys will just have to visit to see it.
And no, BMK is not my favorite, just the most costly to replace so that's why she gets such a special hat! That and the fact that she's Big Momma.
I've been trying to decide though if I should upgrade SK's and Serge's to match. . . Im' torn and will have to make that decision when I've had lots more sleep.

Karina said...

Good verse!