Thursday, June 22, 2006

My Halfinger's died

So I needed another pair of felted slippers. I really love felted slippers and decided some time ago that I would make a pair for myself. I will probably make more than one pair but here's my first.
Some months ago I spent many days and evenings knitting a beautiful shrug. I used Plymouth Suri Merino yarn wich is so soft blended with Alpaca and Merino wool. Very soft too, and as I unfortunately found out VERY fullable. Once I was done the shrug was a little floppier than I wanted. I got gauge but I used a thinner yarn than the pattern called for. I decided to toss the finished project into the gentle cycle on my front load washer and full it a tiny bit. . . What I pulled out 10 minutes later was a shrunken thick 1/2 sized version of what I put in. I no longer had a shrug, I had a felt mat.
I didn't even blog it it was so sickening, all my work ruined!
After mourning my loss I decided to make good from my failure. I didn't know what but I knew something would come from the felt. Recently I developed a hole in my favorite felted clog slippers so I knew what, I just didnt' know when.
Tonight I sat down and made these slippers. Very comfy, soft and cuddly! Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

they look so cute. glad u got around to making them for uself..great job!

Karina said...

they are adorable!