Thursday, November 16, 2006

Meet Camella's twin Lily

While Rocky and I were on our Anniversary trip we stopped at this sale I saw close to our B&B. It was advertised as a flea market but once we were inside I realized that it wasn't a flea but someone's collection of stuff to sell. It was a large warehouse with all kinds of used things for sale. Of course Rocky and I were both interested in looking around for a little while. We had to wait about 30 minutes to checkin anyway so . . .
I immediately found the sewing machines and was pleasantly suprised to find 2- 3/4 machines in fairly good cosmetic condition, and both sewed. The machine on the right, Singer 185K aka Lily and another 99- to be sisters with Cranky and Goldie. I actually think I will take the case from this new 99- and put Cranky into it. I have not had time to clean or name this 99-. I will have to find some time soon.
I did spend a little bit of time cleaning up my little Lily. It was very neat to compare machines side by side and notice differences like the orienteation of the cord on the foot pedal, size of handwheel, bobbin case area, etc. After cleaning and oiling I put them side by side along with Cranky and tested stitching. I know some are not a big fan of the 285J, Camella, machine but I couldn't tell much difference in the stitching. I also couldn't tell much difference in the volume when sewing between Camella and Lily, however Cranky was much quieter.
I had put obtaining machines on a moratorium somewhat, at least I thought I had. I am still on the lookout however for a reasonably priced featherweight. I think then I will stop. I have 3 machines to sell. One of which I haven't blogged or named, or attepmted to really add to the collection as it's a full sized Brother from the 70's with a cute flowerd case. Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

glad u found something u like while away for your anniversary

Nik said...

what do you do with all the machines you buy? do you refurbish them and sell them?

doreen said...

ummm, I'm slightly embarrassed to say. I've only sold one. I have 3 more I intend to sell, but the rest I'm "collecting". I refurbish and ocassionally pull them out for use here and there. I just like having them. I've never really gotten into collecting anything before except TY beanies.
Right now they are all living under my new cutting/ironing table. My plan is when my studio/workroom is done I have shelves for them, but Rok is concerned due to their weight so I may need to devise some other storage method. I'd like to have them up for display. To me they are so beautiful.