Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Meet Serge's BIG sister and Grace

Happy Belated birthday to me! For this year's birthday/Valentines/Mother's Day gift Rocky got me a Janome Memory Craft 888 Compulock, 5 thread serger. She arrived today, one day earlier than I anticipated. I haven't named her yet. For now I'll call her SBS (Serge's BIG sis). She dwarf's Serge. She's very quiet and doesn't move around a lot even at high speeds and on this somewhat wobbly table.
We ordered her from eBay and the stitches I've tested so far work perfectly with no adjustment! I love the auto tension and the ease of switching between stitches with just a few punches into the touch screen. I still need to practice a lot because I sometimes forget one step and the alert won't let me serge until I fix it. Unfortunately the seller didn't include all of the parts needed to do some of the stitches like Coverhem, Chain and the 2 thread stitches so I'm in communication with her to see if she can find them and send them.
I'd like to also introduce one of my first Industrial machines, Grace. She's an industrial blind hemmer. I got her from the same person Rocky got my Mother's day gift (Singer 201k) from last year. I've been cleaning her up since she's been in storage for a while. I got her as a 2fer so I have another one in the garage. I need to sell one of them and I'm leaning towards the other one, but I'm trying to wait to see if I can get an Industrial straight stitch machine, reuse the table and motor and just sell the head. Grace needs a belt and she'll be up and running very smoothly. I tested her today after getting some instruction from my work mentor/boss and after realizing that that handwheel turns opposite my home sewing machines she formed some perfect blind hem stitches. I am itching to get her belt and really try her out!
Finally here's my new scrap chest. Each drawer is about 12"x12"x12" for perspective. It's just big enough to fit by the door of my sewing room. I got it today from Target on clearance, plus the manager took an additional $10 off just because I asked! It is perfect to store my neutral/cool and warm scraps that are too little to fold yet too big to part with. It's turned for the picture, but normally it would face outward toward the doorway. Hopefully now that I can easily access my scrappage I can make some projects with it!
I've got two more machine covers to make. SBS came with a carry case but not a dust cover. She and Grace will be very hard to keep clean if I don't get them hats soon.
I will also soon be painting my room and have some shelves up so stay tuned for pics! It's been super fun getting this room in order.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Karina said...

Lots of cool new stuff for you, yea and happy belated bday!

Jennifer said...

awesome! so glad you got ur new machine. it looks great