Sunday, May 27, 2007

revelation

I HATE FOLLOWING PATTERNS.
I don't know why it's taken me so long to figure this out. And there is one exception. I don't mind it so much with quilting or patterns that use rulers and dimensions. But I abhor cutting out pattern pieces then cutting them out again and again.
I like the idea of patterns and having consistancy with my finished product, but I find I enjoy sewing so much more when I just sew something.
I'm beginning to think my knitting is the same way. I enjoy it more when I make it up as I go. I like formulas. I like creativity. I like finding out how do do something by making it with instructions once, but when I need to make another one, it's so much less painful to make it from my mind.
Am I the only one?
I would love to sew clothing for myself and for my boys, but the prospect of all of that sea of paper is daunting.
I ordered a book, Sew U: The Built By Wendy Guide to Making Your Own Wardrobe. From reviews it appears to be a book that gives you basics, and three basic PATTERNS, that you are taught to modify and change to give different looks. This may be my last shot at trying to like to sew clothing. So far I've not liked to do it and I could't figure out why, but it's the hatred of patterns that's getting me.
All this said and I just for the first time "took advantage" of my local fabric store having a pattern sale, lol.

5 comments:

Kamika said...

I agree. I've sewn a lot of things over the years including gowns for an entire dance ensemble and I STILL hate patterns and cutting to be cutting. I like to get down with the get down immediately. Over the years I've learned to enjoy the prepping (swatching in needlework) but it still can be annoying.

Karina said...

well thats good news you figured it out and found what could be a solution for you....

Just Another *SINGLE* Mom said...

Yes, the pattern process can be long and rather boring. I really like when its only two pieces to cut haha.

doreen said...

Two pieces are awesome, or I don't mind it so much if the pieces are all cut and measure squares/rectangles, it's when it's a million pieces, and curvy shapes, and a trillion darts to ensure the million pieces match up. . . then transferring all of the pattern markings to the fabric etc. too much work.

Home Ec Steph said...

No, you are not the only one. You can ask Karina, I am not a big pattern person myself. I like to know in my head the idea of how to do something, and then I like to do it myself, and modify it has needed. I am like that with Crochet. I always make up my own stuff. And with cooking, I will use a recipe only about 25% of the time. Mainly with baking.