Tuesday, January 08, 2008

My momma poncho is done

I have always worn my children. It's something I believe in. I started with Charmie from the beginning and it's become somewhat an addiction for me. I love all of the different kind of cloth carriers out there for helping us to be able to bond and care for our little ones. After researching different slings and carriers for Charmie I came across outerwear for mommas and babies who are slung. I really wanted one then, but could not and would not afford the $100+ price tag. . . so alas I had no sling wear.
That is until now!
I had found a knitting pattern on Little Turtle Knits for The Babywearer. It spoke to me, but I couldn't get the motivation, etc. to make one. I decided I needed one though for Zuri and I to wear. She's a little to small to be in it now since she can't hold up her head so Mardie makes a great model. I still sometimes sling him anyway.

It's reversible so here he is on the back.



Here's the poncho flat


And Mardie on the front.
I can see that the opening gapes a little more than I'd like so I will devise some sort of closure probably with either a drawstring or knit on ribbing. I have to decide.
I started this 3 knit nights ago so it's been about 7 weeks in the making. I took plenty of breaks for nesting, having a baby, finishing up other projects, etc.
I'm very happy with how my color combinations in the yarn worked up. I wanted a variety of color, but nothing too bright, loud, etc. I used a single strand of chocolate brown wool held together with one of 4 different hand painted yarn and changed colors every two rows. I had a main handpaint that was used every 4 rows. So the color went like this: always one strand of MC, row 1-color a, row -2 color b, row -3 color a, row 4 color c, row 5 color a, row 6 color d, repeat. This gave me continuity of my main strand and main handpaint, but then tastes of the other variations.
This was a great experimentation for me in mixing various handpaints/varigated yarns. Without the main color they didn't match each other and didn't go together, with out repeating the main handpaint the color would have jumped around more than I would have liked. This effect produced a mottled look, there isn't really any pooling and there are subtle stripes. All things that I love.
I'm am looking forward to Zuri and I getting a ton of use from this garment, it was definately worth the knit.
My only regret is that I didnt' get it finished in time to wear as a maternity poncho.
I altered the baby neck opening. I added 4 rows of 2x2 ribbing in size 10 needles and then bound it off in the original size 13 needles for stretch. It's stretchy enough to fit over Mardie's head still, but acts like a moc turtleneck and tapers in nicely. I'm sure with Z it will still be large for a little while. Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Beautiful!!! So glad you used the brown, I think it turned out absolutely wonderfully!!!

Janet Richards said...

It turned out great!!!!!!! Love it!

Karina said...

awesome!

Jennifer said...

girl that is so freakin cool. great job!!

Theresa said...

Oh, Doreen, that is GORGEOUS! I love the colors, stranding the handpainteds with a solid color was a brilliant idea! I hope you get tons of use from it - Yay Babywearing!

Anonymous said...

That is SOOOOOO cool!....and warm at the same time! ;)

~Elizabeth