Thursday, November 10, 2005

French Market Junk Basket

I've started this new initiative to be de-cluttered and have a simpler method of maintaining my home. . .  I've been trying to keep up with my housewifery duties as much as possible on a daily basis, rather than letting my world and all of the junk in it pile up around me.  I've been reading a great book that my mom gave me, and talking to other homemaker moms around me for advice.  My friend Christi told me about how she manages the clutter that she might possibly bring into her house by having a large plastic tote in her garage that she dumps stuff into from trips out and about each time before going inside and clears once a week.  By having this tote she prevents all the "stuff" from cluttering her home, kitchen counter, desk, etc. 
I liked the idea but part of what I resolved to do this month along with simplifying and organizing was not bringing anything, ANYTHING else into my home unless it was a Christmas present, or a consumable.  This really sucks because I always love to shop and buy new things.  Since I had this bright idea and clever resolution (insert sarcasm) I was stuck when I decided I needed a tote. I have some of the same kind of totes that Christi mentioned but I had organized my stuff into them and I didn't have an empty one and my resolution prevented me from buying one.  So I did what any desparate housewife would do and went to my yarn stash and knitted one.  Here's my prefelted version of the French Market tote using this pattern as a template.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I used double stranded worsted light green for the base, my hand painted bulky for the varigated middle portion, then two worsted stands, one a muted rust, the other more a coraly pink for the rest of the sides and start of the handles, and strand each of the same light green as the base mixed with a darker loden green for the top of the handles.  Before felting it measured 19" x 24" and I used the two needle version of the base.  I only took the base 5 rows up the side vs. 10 in the pattern.  I made the sides 8" tall before I formed the handles.  As you can see it's big enough to hold lots of stuff that I might bring in with me from the car. . .   


Here's a picture of it after felting.  It measures 14"x14" for the base and 6" tall on the sides.  If I make another I might change the handles to one strand so that the fabric felts tighter and makes a thinner handle.  By having two strands the entire bag felted some, but remained sturdy and much larger dimensions than the pattern called for.  This was my goal because vs. yarn projects I wanted a basket to catch junk!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


 

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

cool! i like the it. glad u were able to find a solution to ur problem:)

Karina said...

so cool! very creative!

Christi said...

so now you have to tell us.. is it doing its job?? :)

doreen said...

well . . . it's teh perfect size to do it's job, but I've been so motivated by cleaning before I finished it that after it was done I continued what I was doing so I don't ever put anything into it. I just make the time to put things away where they belong before I leave the kitchen area and move on. Maybe I will use it somewhere else in my house that "junk" collects and things don't get put away right away, or maybe I'll use it as a magazine holder. . . I am inspired by it though to make some smaller similar holders without handles for things like our tv remotes etc. to contain them.

Christi said...

ooh well then your doing way better then me.. Ive always got too much going on when coming in the house.. honestly i guess im just not that disciplined to put it where it goes. im just too tired and just want to get everyone in the house and settled..
Im so glad your cleaning kick is going well :) yeah!!