Sunday, November 13, 2005

Playdough

I've wanted to make some playdough for the boys for some time but I didn't have the guts to try. . . too many variables such as: Mardie likes to eat chalk and crayons and sand and paper so playdough was one thing I didn't have to worry about unless I introduced it to him. Charmie sometimes goes wild with his toys and most of our home is carpeted, including our dining room. Playdough and carpet don't mix.
But I got brave. I was home not feeling well and I decided they would like to have something to play with so I mixed up a batch. They loved it!
Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com
In a large sauce pan on med mix together the following ingredients until it forms into a ball in the middle of the pan:
4 c. flour
4 c. water
1 c. salt
1/2 c. cream of tartar
4T oil

Remove clump/ball from the pan and put onto a lightly floured surface. Knead together until no longer sticky/tacky. Separate into equal portions and add food coloring or unsweetened Kool-Aid drink mix to reach desired intensityof color, or leave without color if desired. Knead in coloring until well blended and play away!
Playdough can be stored in air tight containers or bags in the refrigerator in-between uses. I love this recipe because it is soft and smooth not grainy feeling in the hands and is slow to dry or crumble unlike most home made dough recipes. And though it's not recommended that it be eaten, it's non-toxic.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

awwwww, that is so cool. what did u make it out of? water, flour, salt? and of course food coloring. i know they loved it. charm looks so happy. you have to bring him back to play. mycah was sad that charmie didn't stay to play the other day.