Friday, January 27, 2006

Quilting, my next new thing!

Well after getting my new sewing machine and being tempted by friends (you know who you are) to quilt by seeing their creations I decided to try my hand at making a thing or two.  I've tried quilting before, once or twice when I was much younger and never took it up as a hobby to continue.  That may have been because I was doing it all by hand.  From the looks of my house as I type this post I can't be taking this up now, I've got some major cleaning to do today when I wake up!
Image hosting by Photobucket 



But here it is.  My first wall hanging quilt.  I made the design myself.  From the size of the over all piece and interior components to the bead work.  I'm very fond of beads :D.  It measures 39"x21.5".  I used metalic thread to quilt with though you can't see that from this picture.  I used decorative stitches in two areas though once again you cannot see that from this picture.  I guess I should have taken closeups but it's so late at night.  I just wanted to get it posted.  Blog pressure.



I've got a few lessons learned from this second/first quilting venture. 





  • Try decorative stitching out on a sample quilt, or small area, it's a bear to rip out of a large area if you decide it's to fussy.


  • Beads left uncapped will find a way to spill EVERYWHERE! So put the cap on when not in use.


  • You can never pin enough for quilting.


  • What looks good on paper, doesn't always look good in fabric, especially when the paper is black and white pencil drawing and the fabric is full color.


  •   Finally, quilting is much more fun when you can share.  Thanks J and K for all your tips, hints, and encouragement.  I couldn't have done it without you guys!

2 comments:

Karina said...

im sooo proud of you! its awesome, I knew it would be! you did awesome and all those things you wrote is sooo true!!!! I am excited to see all the many more creations you come up with!!!!

Jennifer said...

This is sooooo beautiful!!!!! it looks really really good. i know it will looks so nice in ur living room. excellent job!