Wednesday, November 21, 2007

knit night work

Last knit night I bought some NZ pure wool to knit into a wet pad for Zuri. Last night I put it onto the knitting machine there and zipped out this large rectangle. It measured 50"x36". Originally I wanted to get a sheep skin or fleece, but after researching them I decided I'd let some poor lamb live and knit one. Since this was to just be a rectangle I saw no need to knit it by hand. Once I got it home I bound off the ends and added a crochet edging at the sides. Since it's stockinette stitch and my side border isn't very wide it wants to curl up

Here's the pad after felting. It's almost a square. 24.5" x 26.5" after two cycles in the washing machine, one to felt with a small amount of laundry detergent and my dryer balls for agitation and one with lanolin wash and conditioner no balls. It did shrink and felt denser with each wash. I think I want to lanolize it again in the sink since a lot was going on and I didn't stop it from rinsing in time.
The ends curl because they are a different yarn and I didn't use a stretchy bind off, the sides are more so, they have the crochet finish and it felted at a different rate. All in all I'm very pleased with the finished product. It will be great for her hammock or for just about anywhere I want a soft, cushiony pad that also has water resistancy.
It didn't fade by the way, the colors are just as vibrant as the first pic. I just took this pic in poor lighting.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Janet Richards said...

cool - you used Lenore's knitting machine :) Sounds like a neat addition to your baby items.

Jenny said...

I really like it. The felting of the colors are really nice too. I can't wait to see it in person!

Jennifer said...

great job. i like it