Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Busy day part 1

Today the boys and I got a few things done. . . I cut their hair. Well I trimmed their hair. I got tired of Charmie protesting everytime I went to brush or comb through it with wails of his perceived torture so I announced to him that I was cutting his hair off! As you can see I just trimmed it about an 1-1/2" for Charmie and around 1" for Mardie. My goal; to even their hair out and remove split ends that lead to tangles. I guess I'll see tomorrow if it helps. I am not sure if I will be able to braid Charmie's hair for a few weeks and I could't pull it into a "pony" without combing but since he hates "ponys" because they are for girls we'll be just fine.
I then made brownies from this no pudge mix I found at a local grocer. It's a brownie mix that just needs 2/3 cup of nonfat vanilla yogurt. And makes the most moist fat free guilt free brownies! The boys are licking the dough remains from the bowl and spatula since there were no eggs in the mix.
The thirdlyI made a 2nd batch of whole wheat bread. This time I was experimenting since the first batch seemed to upset my skin inside my mouth and stomach. I omitted the flaxseed and voila, no irritation. I thought it looked cool in this step when I added the water so here's a view for you.

The finished loaf. I still need to determine what I'm doing wrong. I increased the time 5 minutes from the recipe but I could still see darkness and what appeared to be dough still in the crease at the end of the cooking time. So I set the time for an additional 5 minutes and checked it. It still looked like there may be some more time needed so I set the timer for an additional 10 minutes! My oven thermometer and thermostat are fine ya'll so I don't know why I need this much time to get this bread to be cooked all the way through. I can say this time after the initial time was when the bread got this pretty brown color, before that it was looking pretty pale for wheat bread in my book.
Next time I will split it into 2 loaves and try that.
This loaf was much prettier than my first thanks to me actually hand forming it before putting it into the loaf pan, and then scoring the top to give that happy little groove in the center.
I'm loving making bread and my family seems to love it too!
We found out today from the allergist that Charmie's skin and blood testing was negative to all of the nuts so Rocky put peanut butter on his bread, he reacted with glee! He said he LOVED it! Rok and I both love peanut butter so it's a happy day in the Ray home when Charmie can enjoy it too!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Beautiful loaf!!!

Janet Richards said...

You have me thinking bread now. I actually dug out my food processor and looked up how to make and knead dough with it. Not sure if I'm more inspired than just looking at the bread recipe - but your bread does look yummy!!

doreen said...

lol, looking at Jennifer's and Karina's is what made me want to make some. It's spreading! Don't look if you don't want to be tempted!