Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Sock Beetle Bag

Now that I'm knitting socks I wanted a small project bag for toting around my socks in progress. Socks are substantially smaller than my other knitted projects as are their balls of yarn and skinny needles for the most part so project bags that are larger just kind of loose it all within imho.
I saw a cutesy little bag pattern for sewing or knitting notions or as a child's purse that looked like a bug a few years ago at my local fabric store, but at the time I wasn't knitting socks so I didn't see a need to buy it.
More recently while looking on Etsy at knitting supplies I found these cute bags for sale by Sockdiva. I loved her color combinations and the personality she gave each one so I decided I wanted one. After thinking about how I wanted my bag to be and seeing her photos I wanted to try without the pattern. Here's my attempt.
The main body of the beetle is a soft and rich velvet/denim fabric from some Levi Jeans I planned to recycle into a purse. The other fabrics are cotton prints from my stash and scraps. I twisted multiple strands of wool and sock yarn into a rope for the drawstring closure. I am still deciding if I will add a strap for carryng it around. If I make another one of these bags I have a few plans for changes, but with no pattern this came out almost exactly like I wanted it to.
This is my first stash buster bag/project of the year. My fabic stash has grown significantly from donations from my boss so I plan to make many many more before the close of 2007. This one is not for sale but most of the future ones I make will be for sale in my Etsy store.

No comments: