Monday, January 15, 2007

Mardie's 2nd pair of socks

I finally started a knitted pair of socks for Mardie. I crocheted him a pair when he was under 1 year old, but this is my first knitting pair. I used the formula pattern that I used for my socksbut made a few changes. I put ribbing for the whole cuff and top of the sock. I also had 2 extra stitches per needle on the sole of the sock to give it more fullness. My sis showed me this trick and I loved the shape of her child/baby socks.
I don't know why but even though this sock had fewer overall stitches and was obviously much smaller it took 5 times what it took to make my socks. I was beginning to think it wouldn't get done. I finished it in the car on the way back from Myrtle Beach and have yet to start it's mate. Unlike some, I can't knit for long in the car without getting queasy.


Here's the sock sans Mardie's foot.
Speaking of MB, SC, we were there for a church youth weekend. On the way back I asked the 3 girls riding with us if they had interest in me teaching them how to sew, they said yes so I will be planning a weekend of sewing for them with some of my sewing machines. I'm not sure when it will be since I will probably need to afford materials for them, but I'm excited to be working with them. They seemed very interested too! One of the mom's also came with us and she's inerested in her daughter learning how to knit and crochet as well.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Janet Richards said...

What a neato sock!!! Make the mate, start now!! :) Otherwise this sock will be lonely. I know :)

Goodie - more people sewing, knitting and crocheting!! It's so good these arts aren't going to die out!

doreen said...

I agree, I thought this was his 2nd sock, but it really is the 2.5 sock. I thought I had finished the crochet ones until I went looking for them and found one completed and one with just a toe.
I also found a partially knitted sock for me too. I don't even know when I started that one. it's on 2.75 mm needles. I frogged it, it was a twisted tube pat and I wanted heels.

Janet Richards said...

Ah - BTW - the 2nd sock w/ go faster. The first time you make one on smaller needles it takes FOREVER. But believe me - it get's faster as you get used to it :)

doreen said...

that's good to know. I haven't started yet. I've been searching recipes. I'll try to start tomorrow.

Jennifer said...

awww he socks look so cute!! good job