Saturday, October 13, 2007

domescitiy bliss

I haven't been blogging as much as I would like to, and I also haven't been knitting or sewing as much as I would like. I've been domestic. Being a stay at home mom, some of you may be asking yourselves, well isn't that your job? I say, well not exactly. My job is to be there for my kids, but domescity comes along the way.
These days more than ever in my life. I've taken some new responsibilities pretty seriously and in doing so created some new habits for myself and somewhat for my family. I created a budget. We are sticking to it as painful as it has been. I love to shop and Rocky loves a bargain and the boys love new stuff so it's been really painful for us all, but it's good to know that we are within our plan now. We haven't eaten out hardly in the last 4 weeks. I've been preparing our meals breakfast, lunch and dinner. We've started eating mostly organic. This has made the budget even harder but I think it's worth it. The boys have actully voluntarily have somehow started to selectively eat veggies.
In cooking more and with the projects I sometimes give the boys to help with cooking and baking in the kitchen I wanted a step that they both could stand on with no one falling off. We have a single step from Wally world that is perfect for just one person but is no longer sold by them. I went on a search and the step stools that I've seen have no room for 2 kids no matter how small. I don't like the boys standing in chairs. There's something from my childhood that doesn't sit right with that. I even looked online, but the best I could find was a bulky, heavy, and very expensive piece of furniture that got great reviews for it's functionality, but poor ones on storage, or being able to move it around much.
After that I decided forget the commercial stuff, my husband has a miriad of tools and carpentry skills I was betting he could build exactly what I wanted. We discussed basically a wider and deeper version of what I already had. We worked together on the design details. He did the cutting and measuring and calculation of angles. I decided the main dimensions, features like two handles and support rails and did the sanding and fine tuning rotary work (always with a mask). It still needs to have possibly a blonde stain and varnish finish but here's the result:

I'm so proud of my husband's work on this. It's exactly what I wanted and so nice. I'm proud to have it out in our kitchen area all of the time. I doubt I'll be wanting to store it away, yet at this size storing it wouldn't be a problem. The boys love it too. I've been fighting them off of it ever since Rocky flipped it right side up and finished construction. With no finish it's easy to get the wood dirty and stained, but as soon as it's finished I know it will be hard to keep them out of the kitchen.

With my new found domesticity my house is much cleaner too. Now don't get me wrong. Any person could walk into my home and probably find an area of clutter or dust. I' not perfect yet. But it's getting better. I have systems to manage laundry, kitchen duites and cleaning and tidying of toys that have kind of popped out of nowhere. Being in the end of my 2nd trimester isn't helping btw. I'm SO TIRED! Today I did some major cleaning that's been needing to be done in my master bathroom. We're going to be sharing our room with Zuri for the first 16+/-months of her life so we need space for all of her things. This process started very early on in our bedroom of clearning away spaces for her things, but the bathroom was another story. Today though it all came together and I'm so happy with the resulting combination of functionality and asthetics. Well it's asthetically pleasing to me. . . Lots of things tossed out that I no longer use, lots of rearranging. Lots of cleaning and clearing. But the end is space for Rocky and me and new space for Zuri.
So that's what's been giving me bliss.
Tiredness but bliss.
And now off to bed. All this blogging has zapped me completely.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

that is so wonderful. i'm glad it is all coming together. i know that feeling where you find that happy balance where everything is working out. keep it up, you are doing great!

Janet Richards said...

Doreen "Martha" Ray :) I'm glad your new focus is making you happy :)

doreen said...

this was definately a Martha moment. . . but it still feels good!