Thursday, October 25, 2007

merino wool sleep sak

I love my kids in sleep sacks. The boys used to wear them almost constantly at home from my memory until they were walking age. They are wonderful for co-sleeping. They keep baby warm, but baby can't kick off the sack and the arm holes give enough ventilation that they don't overheat.
I wanted to get a wool sleep sack for Mardie but didn't want to pay the price, they are not cheap. I finally this time around found one used for Zuri that is super soft. After getting that one I decided I wanted to try to make her one. Wool sleep sacks act as a diaper cover so with cloth diapering it just makes sense to have one step instead of two!
Here's my attempt. I took a super soft merino wool sweater, felted and lanolized it and recycled it into this. It's slightly larger than the Disana one I bought so this will work for her through a longer time period. I put snaps at the shoulders instead of buttons and ties at the bottom for easy diaper changes. The other sack has no bottom opening. There is about 4" of fabric tucked in at the bottom so as she grows if we are still using this one I can move the ties, or devise some other clousre for the bottom.
For some reason this wouldn't photograph well for color accuracy. My countertop really washed out the color. This table gives a truer color but the sack is actually a little more rose than lilac.
I think I am going to make her some more.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

oh wow that is sooo cute!!! great job!!!! i like that alot

Karina said...

wow, thats amazing, cant wait to see her in it!