Thursday, October 18, 2007

OC about a butt????

Along with my cleaning I guess I've fully crossed over into the nesting phase because I'm OC about getting things ready for Zuri. I still have until mid January before she's due +/- a couple of weeks but none the less my impulses are not driven by what I know to be true. That being said this week I've been obsessing over her diapering.
I know you're thinking, what can be so important about a baby's butt? I don't know exactly but it's all I can think about this week.
Last week Rocky found this beautiful changing table on Craig's list for me. Recycled treasure!!! It all started when I had mentioned that since our mbath doesn't have a closet and we'd be sharing with Zuri we needed a place to store all of her fluff. We discussed something to go here and decided that a plain ole changing table would probably be the most functional and affordable. We're still using the Shower Baby (look above the toilet behind the table for what imho is one of the BEST accessories for any baby!!!) for her actual diaper changes, bathing, etc. But we needed a place to house the cloth diapers and accessories, her toiletries, wipes etc.
The table had no baskets with it though. I went on a mad search for days, since just stacking the dipes on here wasn't the look or style I was going for. Just think open access to two little boys to mix, toss, flush and do whatever at will with the diapers. I was starting to have panic attacks just thinking about it. Plus I tried it with carefully planned rows of like items and the stacks were barely a few inches high and looked sloppy, disorganized and were starting to cascade to the floor.
I don't know why, but places that sell changing tables DO NOT sell baskets or bins that fit onto them well to house anything without substantial loss of storage space. Let me explain. They all have baskets and bins, but they start wide at the top, which is only about 4-7" tall anyway, and loose about 2" all the way around at the bottom. The wedge shaped baskets don't take up close to the space of the table so though you can fit 2-3 baskets/shelf, the actual storage gained is no more than if you just stacked the stuff without the baskets. Plus the baskets are not very sturdy so when and if baby ever gets a hold of them they are going to be trashed. I guess they are trying to make them disposable so you need new ones after baby is done with them? Go figure.
I needed sturdy storage with either deep sides to accommodate for the sloping sides, or they could be lower with nearly straight sides. I found a great solution of crochet baskets made from fabric strips to fit exactly 2/shelf made by a WAHM in the latter, but could not afford her $50/basket price. I think they are worth it, but just not in our budget.
Further searching online and finally in stores yielded these lovely bamboo slat baskets from Target. I LOVE THEM!!!! So much so that I actually made 4 trips to 2 different Target stores in less than 24 hours, including one 2 towns away with 15 minutes to close! I started to get that feeling that someone else would stumble on the use usefulness of my baskets and buy them all before I could figure out what I needed. Can you say OC? It was worth it though as they are the look I wanted. I entertained the idea of traditional baskets but am not a big fan of wicker. These definitely not like wicker (no holes) are all lined with natural cotton fitted liners. The added benefit is that the bamboo is biodegradeable, sustainable without damaging forests, wildlife, prevents erosion and naturally has less or no pesticides due to it's quick growth cycle.


I've arranged Zuri's things in the lower 4 bins as such:
The top bin on the left is daddy diapers. These are 11 all-in-one diapers, 3 pocket diapers and 4 g-diapers, 8 g-diaper liners and plenty of g-diaper inserts. Basically this basket has the ones that Rocky doesn't have to think too much about. All he has to do is take off what she has on and put it into the pail or if it's a g-diaper flush it, then grab a new one from here and slap it on like a sposie!
The top right bin is all covers and wraps. . . 5 nylon, 5 pul, and of course my favorite, 5 WOOL and a wool sleep sack! There will be more wool coming I just have to knit them or sew them up.
Can you tell I LOVE WOOL?????

The space between bins on this shelf will hold 4-6 folded and rolled hooded baby towels. We use plenty of those with our Shower Baby!

On the bottom left I have 15 contour and 12 fitted dipes.
The right has 9 flats and 19 prefolds.
The space between the bins on the bottom shelf will hold the clean reusable diaper pail liner and smaller wet bags for the diaper bag.



The set up for the upper shelf of the table for quick access to supplies is:
From the the top left special bath toys, the middle is snappis and pins and the bottom has toiletry tools like hair brush/toothbrush, nail clippers, etc.
In the middle the top is diaper doublers and the bottom is washable fleece liners.
The top is right cloth wipes, the middle is flushable liners and compostable nappy sacks, and the bottom is baby wash, lotion, oil and creams.
The top of the table is my favorite part since there are special places for all of the goodies Zuri will need.

This is our current newborn to small sized diapering stash (up to around 12lbs) with 70+ diapers. I can go a few days between washing if I desire. All of the larger size diapers are in storage. If I decide that I need to add some more to this and when she grows into the bigger dipes there is plenty of room in the bins to accommodate more booty stash. I'm so glad now that I saved so much of the cloth diapers and supplies from Charmie and Mardie. Even though they are either gender neutral or boyish it feels nice to get ready to use them again for their baby sister.
Changing table Nirvana. . .
Now I can move on to being OC about something else.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

it looks really good. i love the organization :)