Saturday, March 26, 2005

Crochet Dress


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
OK, maybe I"m getting carried away with this crochet thing but it's so fun!!!!!  I wanted a crochet dress and this is my design for one.  I started at the bottom and crocheted up in a round. . . I need to finish weaving in my threads casue you can see my start thread hanging a little, lol, and I also need to sew a slip for this and buy one of those body shaper things Oprah was talking about!  I used Amore yarn by TLC double stranded with a P hook.  It took 3 skeins.  I used a celery, lagoon print and lake blue.  There are 3 distinct color variations in the dress because of how I mixed the yarns together as I worked through the piece.  I am very pleased with how this turned out, including the shaping of the bodice.  I plan to find fabric to match the dk blue for the slip and I'll be buying some more of the green yarn for a small shawl or shrug to wear over my shoulders with this one!

2 comments:

none said...

I like it! I know what you mean about getting carried away. We have crochet on the brain!

doreen said...

I made this one up as I went but I can give the reasoning behind what I did. . .
I'm a tandem nursing mom so my boobs are the widest part of my body so I made a chain big enough to go around my boobs, This is with double stranded amore celery and lagoon print held tog. I joined with a sl st. and hdc around until I ran out of lagoon print. I added the lake blue to the celery and continued in the round. When the celery finished I picked up the outside of my lake blue skein and used it for a few more rows in the round. I was aiming for about 24" and it's about 24-25" before it's solid blue. I have about 4 more rows after it turns blue before I added the arm hole shaping.
I hdc to where I decided the armhole should be and made a chain that would allow the dress to hang right below my breast and 8 stitches away I joined the chain and hdc across the back and repeated for the 2nd arm. I then crocheted the front bodice by forming short rows with a triple dec (3 tog yo draw up loop in next 3 st, yo and pull through all loops on hook) where the front joined the strap and a double dec (2 tog, same as 3 tog with one less stitch) about where my nipples would be. this formed some shaping for my breasts. After I had about 2 rows to go on the front instead of another short row I crocheted up one strap around the back and then the other strap. When I got to the front I repeated the strap and breast shaping dec stitches and then added a 2nd row to the straps and across the back, however on this row i did a double dec at the back middle. when I got back around to the front I joined with a slip and fastened off.
That's my dress. This is more of a formula than an actual pattern that you'd repeat. I'm about 5'2" so this dress hits me right about at my knee height.