Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Mesh Shopping Bag


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I use cloth and crochet bags when I shop for groceries due to the fact that I HATE those plastic bags that you normally have to get and since I shop at Super Wal Mart they don't have paper bags.  I found the perfect cloth bag shape but the fabric that it's made of is not washable and not very durable.  A local store chain, bloom, sells these semi disposable cloth bags for $1 each and I have several, but I wanted something more durable as some of mine start to show wear from use so I decided to crochet a bag.  This is obviously not my first attempt at crocheting a bag, but my first attempt at a mesh shopping style one.  I like this pattern's design for the mesh, but don't think the size is very practical.  I changed teh top part too.  Rather than the one strap I made two handles as that's how I like to carry my grocery bags.  I used my hemp/cotton blend for most of the bag and where I ran out I finished in some 100% cotton at the top.  I think I'll design my bag based on the one that I love from bloom and see how I like that one in crochet!

2 comments:

Janet Richards said...

You have been a busy bee - I love the bag, very pratical and useful!

none said...

Nice Bag. I made the bag in that pattern too. I like your handles. I wasn't too sure of their strap either, but it seems to work, I use it as a diaper bag. It is nice because I can usually see what I am looking for, through the mesh. I have never used hemp yarn. It sounds like something I might have to research.