Thursday, March 15, 2007

Janet and Jada's ABC


My sister has to do a lot of business travel after returning to work from her maternity leave for my newest niece Jada. Once a month she has to fly across the country for about a week of meetings. Last month I flew out with her and was her nanny for Jada. I had a lot of fun with my new niece and also with one of my best friends Tink (short for Tinkerbell).
While we were bustling onto and off of planes and through airports and all over the Seattle area we used my Sutemi Gear ABC (Asian Baby Carrier) which I got either right before Mardie was born or shortly thereafter. I love this carrier due to the fact that it has many options for carrying babies and toddlers from about 4mos. through to 45lbs. or whenever you can't handle it anymore.
Since I still use mine I decided to make one for Janet to have for herself. My friend Vicki makes these and sells this type of carrier as well as others so she helped me out with yardage and dimensions. I am really glad she did because I would have underestimated how much I needed. Here it is. All laid out and then modeled with Charmie who is approximately 40lbs. and Mardie who is around 26lbs. Both of them are comfortable to carry in this carrier as their weight is well distributed across my hips and wide on both shoulders. There is no cutting in on the neck or gouging. I used padding on the thicker portion of the straps and then tapered the straps and stopped padding where they are just long for tying.
I have Charmie in the classic facing in on back over under leg tie. I tied the straps like a backpack vs crossing them over my chest. Mardie in the classic front facing in over under leg tie. This carrier has long enough and wide enough straps to be used for hip carry or lowered for breastfeeding also.
I reinforced all of the strap join areas with at least 5 rows of stitching. I built this carrier to last. I just hope Janet likes the color.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Janet Richards said...

I love it!!! Can't wait to try it on!!

Jennifer said...

it looks great and very comfortable!!!!!! i need to check it out