Monday, March 26, 2007

Summer sock one of ???


I like thin, cotton, at or below the ankle socks in the summer. They have to be nonbinding and the MUST stay up! There's nothing worse than a footie sock that is swallowed up inside my shoe. Making lumps and bunching up around my toes.
I just realized that all of the socks that I was knitting were wool, and well above my ankle so I ran to the yarn shop and picked up some Brown Sheep Cotton Fine. It's a blend of 75% cotton and 25% wool. It's light and airy, looks like cotton and feels like yummy cool wool. The color is more of a berry/burgundy but the flash on my camera washed it out to this plum color. I had some grand ideas of mixing colors and playing with texture but when I started to knit I kept this first try pretty simple. I made up my pattern because most of the socks patterns I've seen for free are for longer socks. I had to be very careful and frog several parts as this yarn is NOT forgiving. It shows all stitch flaws and errors. Evidently I don't know the formula for making socks as rote as I believed I did. There were some parts that looked wrong that I took out and reknit. I discovered I can only talk and knit or talk and purl. So basically stockinette, garter or reverse stockinette. No talking with the pattern stitches or I really mess up.
And believe it or not my ankle is not ashy. I just have very dry skin. Maybe I need to get a foot mannequin???? Anyway, I love these socks and am looking forward to finishing this pair and then knitting up some of the other colors I picked up and the other cotton blend yarn I have. These socks are going to spoil me. They are relatively quick to complete since they are so short even though they are on 2.5mm needles and fingering weight yarn. I started this sock 2 days ago.
On a side note. I LOVE LOVE LOVE wearing the socks that I make. I'm starting to weed out and get rid of my store bought socks that are worn or not comfortable and replace them with my hand knit ones. Until you try them you have no idea how happy your feet are in handknit socks! I never thought of knitting socks seriously until my sister did. Then I saw them and they looked so cute, but she let me try them on and the rest is history! I fell in love. I plan to knit some other things soon, but these socks have sucked me in! My feet want more and more.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Karina said...

Those are really nice!

Home Ec Steph said...

I love these socks... they look like they would be so comfertable!