Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Quick mix and biscuits

My mommy came over today and brought some recipes for muffins. My original intent was to have yummy muffins by the time she left. We discovered in her recipe list a jem for a quick mix. It has the recipe to make basically Bisquick or a similar baking mix that can be stored away for later use. It also had instructions for what to add to make pancake batter, biscuits, muffins, cake, cookies, or cobbler from the base recipe. I couldn't resist because before I started this bread baking venture I really didn't even keep any baking things on hand other than Bisquick. I know that sounds horrible, but I probably didn't buy flour but maybe 2 times in our marriage before recently.
The mix is easy to make and yields about 10 cups of mix. I had everything on hand so I plunged right in. I used some of the store bought flour I had on hand. I've got to use it up somewhere. Here's the result.
Here's the biscuits made from the quick mix. The lumpy large one is the "leftovers" shaped into a biscuit. The "hole" in the upper left corner is from the biscuit the boys were devouring before I got to take the picture. So far I'm very pleased with this recipe. It yielded great biscuits. I'll have to experiment with the other variations to see if I'm equally as pleased.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad your mommy was able to come over and bake with ya. It's sounds like ya'll got alot done. I'm glad your enjoying your flour grinding and bread making :D