Friday, March 23, 2007

3 emails, 2 broken needles later. . .

I finally finished my Fleece Artists Merino wool sock kit. I'm proud of these socks as they mark a landmark for me in knitting with fingering weight yarn and size 2.5mm needles. As I blogged earlier I picked up this yarn and the needles in a yarn shop in Washington last month. I really love the vibrancy of colors that Fleece Artists chose for this Cosmic Dawn colorway. I used 5" Brittany hardwood needles and loved them as well.
This bliss and love continued for both until I started to notice on the 2nd sock (on right) that the colors started getting more and more muted and less and less distinct part way into the sock near the cuff. This resolved at the ankle area, and then by the time I started shaping the heel area it started again for a rather thick band. It resolved again as I was over 1/2 way through the instep. I emailed Fleece Artists and am awaiting a response concerning this. I don't think this should have happened and I'm rather disappointed in this yarn at this point.
As for my precious hardwood needles, yesterday I broke one when I had started shaping the toe for the right sock. Earlier today I broke a 2nd further into toe shaping. They have a 5 year guarantee on their needles so I emailed them, one time after each needle broke. I luckily had some INOX needles in this size to complete the project.
Otherwise I love the socks. They feel "real" in that they are not bulky at all on my feet like some of my earlier (worsted weight yarn) socks are. I love how soft the yarn is and that it is still superwash so I can give them machine laundering.
I'm on the thin yarn sock kick and I'm already gearing up for the next pair. I will be using either a cotton or cotton blend as I'm ready for some summer socks!
I visited the in town yarn shop Rave Knits and picked up some Cotton Fine from Brown Sheep so I'm thinking maybe my next socks will be some anklets in this!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

the socks look beautiful!!

Janet Richards said...

They look great!! I know you are disappointed in the color on the 2nd sock, but I can't tell as much as I was expecting to. Great job - despite the difficulties!! :)

Karina said...

those are soo pretty!