Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Yesterday's fruit

I've been laboring over organized storage for this armiore. Zuri will be room/bed sharing with us for the first 16 mos. of her life as her brothers did. Since her eventual bedroom will be what is now my sewing room and the sewing room will be relocated into a bonus room to be built she not only needs a place to sleep but also a place to house her things.
Thankfully we had this armiore, and it was mostly holding miscelaneous things that could be relocated elsewhere.
We have had the wicker/reed baskets for a few years but the lower shelves had no organization. Tiny baby things don't do well just floating on shelves. I have had several ideas running through my mind, but kept coming back to this type of bin for a quick affordable solution. I had purchased some others but they had a horrible chemical smell, and not only did I not want to breathe it, I didn't want my infant daughter's clothes and things smelling. So after a week of trying to offgass them back to the store they went.
On a quick run to BigLots I found these 6 bins for $2.50 each! I couldn't beat the price, the color goes with our room and they work perfectly for what I was trying to achieve for now!

I needed a new wrap/tie sling since I sold my Ellaroo. I purchased 5 yards organic bamboo knit fabric and have been wrestling with what to do to finish it. . . I ended up just choosing a simple rolled hem in a similar color wooly nylon and organic cotton thread. I am still deciding as to whether or not to add a pocket, toy loop, and where to add my label. I tapered the ends for less bulk and ease of tying.
This sling is so soft, comfy and yummy to wear.
I am horribly out of practice though and after 3 attempts to sling Mardie over my swollen belly and on my aching back I realized that I'm so glad that newborns don't move much and don't weigh much!
I'm sure Zuri and I will learn quickly what we need to learn to sling happily just as I did 4 years ago with Charmie!


Here's a swatch I worked up to determine gauge and also find out if I could take some yarn I love, (4 varigated colorways) have been saving for just the right project that is super bright and make it into something I would love to wear! ( I normally don't wear super bright)
I found some dark brown and knit with the two strands together. This makes almost a heathered tweedy look that is just fun enough for my tastes and a bulky knit that is growing on me. Luckily the pattern is written for multiple gauges and yarn weights.
I'll be starting this probably at knit night tonight! Here's the pattern (scroll down to The Babywearer), but I plan to make some changes to the bottom part to better suit my shape/size/height. I'm looking forward to wearing this in a few weeks!


Finally here's what a momma does when she has 2 boys and then a baby girl on the way with the boy's baby clothes. . .
My take on an ensemble for Zuri. The fox hat and booties were gifties from my sis for Mardie. I love them and am happy to use them again. The soaker just happened to go with the kimono, I really didn't plan it that way! And the legwarmers are just part of Zuri's stash. It's neat to have a variety to draw from for various looks.
On another note, my dumb dog ATE a matching fox long sleeve onesie that I had sunning to remove some spit stains when it blew off the deck, clothes pins and all! I barely found the remaining threads later, but the poor onesie is beyond repair. I'm just thankful for the dog's sake it wasn't one of my handknits that he ate or I don't really know what I would do to him!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Virtuous said...

I love those bins and I must get some!!!!

The room is looking great!

Hope you are more motivated today! :o)

Jennifer said...

that is the cutest little outfit!! you did a great job