Saturday, March 18, 2006

Flash pants

Today Rocky's mom visited us. As always when a grandmom visits it's primarily for the grand kids sake, but while she was here she wanted to go fabric shopping and being who I am I had to oblige. . .



We ended up spending WAY too much time in the fabric store while the boy's napped and Rocky held down the fort but the end result was productive. Right before I got my other fabric cut on a whim I picked up a bolt of this silky stuff that reminded me of saris, broom stick skirts and gypsy fabrics all rolled into one. I had to have it but had no pattern and no plan other than the fact that I liked the idea of some pants, or maybe a skirt, or maybe a top. . . so in other words no real plan.



One yard later, and well after dinner when the boys settled down, and I broke away from the Hallmark movie that had sucked us in for 3 hours and decided for sure I'd make some wide legged pants. Here's the result. I made them up as I went. I put a very thin elastic waist band and a blind hem at the bottom. They were super easy because I made them on the fold, just 2 seams, and I did something I've never done before. I seamed them entirely on my serger and just made the casing for the elastic and the blind hem on my sewing machine. Voila!
Image hosting by Photobucket



I think it took me longer to rethread my serger and figure out which foot to use for blind hemming on my sewing machine than the actual construction of the pants, lol. I guess I need to put down the knitting needles and sew more so that this is more 2nd nature!
Here's a pic of them on, after church. I have a strained look because I'm cold, lol.
Image hosting by Photobucket

8 comments:

Karina said...

wow, those are really cool. and you made it up as you went awesome. I hope you have a shirt to match it....:)

Jennifer said...

awww, pretty! u gonna wear them to church today?

Jennifer said...

hey...i wanna see a pic of them on!

Jennifer said...

hey...i wanna see these on u!!

Jennifer said...

ooooooo soooo pretty!! i love the pink top with them. the pants look really nice!

Karina said...

lools great together!

Karina said...

lools great together!

Christi said...

very pretty!