Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The first Bob square

My boys both love Bob the Builder. Here is the first block of a quilt for one of them. I am not sure when I will be finishing it, due to the fact that embroidering the squares takes a while and I'm not really motivated to do more than one in a sitting. This square is 6.5". I'm pleased with the outcome except for the fact that Bob has green hair. (Who would have thunk "dark olive" wasn't green?) I guess I will not only be looking at the color name, but the embroidery area when I get around to the next square.
Image hosting by Photobucket



Oh and I figured out part of the problem I was having with embroidering knits. I had combined bobbins from my sewing and embroidery machine thinking that they were similar enough to use interchangeably. I did notice that on end some were taller than others, but the diameter was the same so I didn't think much of it. When I started this block my thread kept jamming and the top thread was sucking down into the bobin case and wrapping around the bobbin. I was using the thicker bobbin at the time. I couldn't figure it out until the third try of untangling everything that possibly my machine didn't like this bobbin. I switched it out for a shorter bobbin and voila, perfect normal embroidery. I need to make a tiny little reminder lable for my machine which says "short bobbins only" as I am sure I will forget this little important factoid at some point in the future. In the picture below, the black one is the one that I started with, the white one is the one I had to use.
Image hosting by Photobucket

5 comments:

Karina said...

that bob is sooo cute! nice job......and im glad you found out about the bobbin!!!

Jennifer said...

bob came out looking so good. well except for his punk hair which i didn't notice until u said something:) it's always relieving when u figure out the problem with ur machine. and u don't have to ship it back to someone else O.<

Nik said...

I wish you were my mama. :)

Janet Richards said...

Wow - great job on Bob the builder! The boys will love the quilt.

Christi said...

I love the Bob builder! They are going to be so happy once its all completed :)