Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Felted Pincushion

At the quilt show we saw the ewesful pincushions and I really liked them. i had seen them advertised before but hadn't seen them in person. They were huge, about 5" diameter.
Here's my first attempt. It's much smaller, about 2" across. It's wool scrap yarn wound into a ball and then felted with hot and cold water and abrasion. It was larger with 3 more layers but the outer layers separated and I couldn't reattach them.
Making this makes me want to get a needle felting tool! Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

very cute!

Karina said...

i think its cute, i want to make one too!

doreen said...

Good luck! I used my ball winder to make the ball and changed the color every time it made a layer so that I could see the different colors.
It took a little over 30 minutes at the sink with scalding hot and then cold water and some dish soap of massaging and kneeding and rubbing this until it felted. Remember the soap, it helps. I added in the middle of the process, and if I had put it in the beginning it may have shaved off some time. I think the needle felting tool will make it faster the next time so when I find one I'll be picking it up.