Wednesday, September 06, 2006

I dreamt of Genie

One of my three FINALLY came today. Here's my Singer Genie 354. She's just a little bigger than BK but still not a full sized machine. She has a light, on/off switch. She performs straight, zig zag, stretch, blind hem and multi step zig zag stitches built in with adjustable tension, stitch width and length. She also sews in reverse and can be adjusted for free motion/embroidery/darning.
I am so happy to have her. She's really cute, and just like I like her.
She has a unique cover that slides on to act like a case, and it holds the foot pedal, her additional presser feet, bobbins and manual. She was manufactured in France in 1974, my birth year!
After I got her inside I tested her. The seller wasn't joking when she said she couldn't get her to take up the bobbin thread. I of course had to take off ALL of her covers and pannels to discover the problem. There is a destroyed gear/shaft. It drives the bobbin race. Without it the bobbin race doesn't turn and the top thread is not locked into the bobbin thread or anything for that matter. I am researching replacing the shaft. I will be sad if I am not able to find a replacement. I glad to have her as part of my litttle sewing machine collection. The good things are:
1. I gained some more practice in taking apart a sewing machine and reassembling it.
2. I am also starting to know more of what the they look like inside to diagnose what is wrong with them when I see their movement internally.
3. I got to go over Genie more thoroughly than any other machine that I have had except for my Fashion Mate. I cleaned her inside and out with brushing, wiping, q-tiping. She's devoid of dust and grime so when I get her shaft fixed she should run as new! Stay tuned. I should be receiving the others within this week! Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Karina said...

so cool. all these antique machines....

Jennifer said...

aww, i'm so glad u got her. i know how u have been anxiously waiting :)