Thursday, September 21, 2006

Talking to Strangers

Tuesday I found myself running errands which means getting groceries and paying bills. I ran into some people that for some reason I felt compelled to talk to. The first of which is a homeschooling mom I met at BigLots. I saw her teaching her 6 & 9 yo. with infant in tow math while shopping. I waited and then approached her. It was a grand conversation and since we exchanged information I believe there will be many more. :D
Then we went to Walmart. I saw a man with his 2 daughters and wife going in and he was singing to them. . . later on he showed up in the fabric department while I was there and I overheard him as he was picking out a pattern to sew so of course I had to ask him if he sewed. He said no, but he was going to give it a try. We talked for 2 seconds about easy patterns and while we were talking another stranger approached.
She asked me if I was interested in sewing for hire or knew anyone who was because she had a business sewing home decorations from pillows to swag valances and drapery panels and needed some help.
I took her information and later that night called her to discuss what she was proposing. . .
She's my new boss. I have a new job. I can work from home doing something I love and I get free training and mentoring. And best of all the job came to me!
Here's my first finished home dec. pieces for hire. A 98x14 table runner with tassles and a 32x14 placemat. They both are interlined. They are constructed with a beatuiful blue embroidered fabric and a simple stately tan pin dot.
I have some samples to play with to learn techniques and make some smaller items for my home and as I learn skills I'll become skilled enough to make custom decorations for casa del Ray! Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

WOW! i really do like this fabric and it really looks like u did a great job! man u had an interesting day with strangers...lol

Karina said...

Wow! thats awesome......so cool!

Janet Richards said...

What a blessing! This sounds like the perfect opportunity for you!