Monday, September 18, 2006

Meet Peaches!

After the discouragement I've had lately on eBay with sewing machines you would think I would quit. . . well I found a machine that is on my wishlist. . .and it was local pickup (no shipping issues). . . so I had to at least check it out. . . and at least contact the seller with my questions. . .and at least bid. . . and at least try to win.
Well obviously I won.
Here's my Peaches I named because she's as smooth as peaches and cream.
She's a Singer 301A. A slant shank model with no belts, she is entirely gear driven. I would have thought she would have had some additional noise, but she's incredibly smooth. As I was working the deal the seller mentioned he had a table for her that he would sell me separately. He didn't want to list it and deal with shipping. I'm so glad because I wanted both and had no clue when I started to inquire if he had a table or not.
Peaches sits here in this picture uncleaned, with her dirty case and table that needs to be refinished. I will have started to sand the table for refinishing so that shouldn't take too long. I've already cleaned her, and I messed up big time!
I took apart the tension assembly and am too tired to get it back together right. I've gotten it back together and at least now she sews a pretty stitch again, whew!!! Something about the tension assembly is still not just quite right though so I will be spending some time tomorrow or another day this week fiddling with it after I've had some rest.
Peaches has straight stitch, drop feed dogs, reverse and a neato built in handle. She was made to be able to be used in a cabinet or this style table, yet removed with no tools for transport. She can also be used on a table top.
She's not super compact, although he flip down bed extension helps. She is lightweight for an all metal machine. She will be great to take to sewing night/craft nights for piecing and quilting.
Unfortunately she did not come with any fiddlybits or a manual so I will be scouting those items for her as I go along. Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

wow, just when i thought that was the end of the machines for a while...suprise! this on looks nice and the table you got with it looks really cool.

mumtahanah said...

you know, i stop by here ALOT, but never comment, so tonight i figured i could at least say hi... "HI!"
mu

oh--you really have 11 machines?? wow! i love the story about the one you found on the curb.

doreen said...

Hi mu,
yes. . . I do have 11. I'm really enjoying collecting them. It's fun to see how they are all so different but also similar. I am learning a lot on how sewing machines work and do what they do. I had no clue before even though I'm a Family and Consumer Sciences (Home Economics) Major.