Friday, April 21, 2006

crazy block No.1

After making the pads I had all of these scraps. So I decided to start my scrap quilt. Here's my first block, and my first attempt at crazy quilting. I am a member of several yahoo groups for my sewing machines and one member asked a question about some stitch functions on her machine. . . She said the manufacturer said that they were for Herky Jerky Applique. I don't have her machine, but instantly knew which stitches she was referring to. I've often wondered myself what they were for. They are very scribbly. I started off with these and quickly decided to experiment with many of the other decorative stitches offered on my machine. I really enjoyed constructing this block. I am sad that I've been throwing away so many tiny scraps. I'm now have a use for them. Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

oooo, girl that looks really cool. i need to try a crazy quilt block....one day....

doreen said...

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Kind of like tracing lines with the sewing machine. I think the Flannel fabric helped everthing stay in place. If I was sewing something else that wasn't so sticky I may have needed to use pins :P

Karina said...

Wow that is awesome, im not quite sure how you did this, but it looks great!

doreen said...

how i did it? I took scraps and one by one appliqued the overlapping edge onto the main piece. As I added scraps the piece grew, and when it got big enough I trimmed it down to the size block I wanted.
I used the my decorative stitiches to outline the appliques.