Friday, April 07, 2006

Instant Gratification

I don't know why Instant Gratification is so alluring. . . There are so many things that are worth waiting for. Yet IG afflicts me at some point and sucks me in, sometimes crippling me from the joys and the process of making.
For me IG comes and goes. It is not a chronic condition that is always present, rather more acute striking and lasting only for a time, attacking when I am distracted, when I have been on a roll and think, "it won't happen to me."
That's when it hits!
Right now it's hitting hard. I want so badly to just start and or finish some larger projects that I have wanted to do for some time, but I'm stuck in the rut of IG.
The good thing is that I don't stop making. . . just change how I go about it. I think when I'm under IG's spell I get more creative. I am completely winging it. I have no plan, no vision no insight, no preparedness to equip me for success. No, I just go along, catching this idea or that, looking for solutions to little problems and finding them in IG projects.
And then almost as soon as it came, it passes and I can press on.

2 comments:

Karina said...

so true!

Jennifer said...

i can understand that. there are times i just wanna do projects i can finish kinda fast so i can see the end project.