Friday, April 14, 2006

Straw, Grass and Leaves

Here's my latest bag, sorry J, no WIPS bar. I started this late Thursday night, and worked on it a little here and there. After wasting time messing around with my machine I realized that I needed a lining sewn so I picked my fabric from my stash and made one real quick. I stole another chance to mess with my new machine to sew the lining.
I'll be searching for some handles tomorrow. This bag is my own pattern and design. I used three strands of yarn held together. Two of a worsted weight color grown organic cotton and one of a space dyed sport or fingering weight cotton boucle. I love the tweedy look. And the colors remind me of natural things, hence the title. I think I'm going to really like this summer bag. As I use it and wash it the color grown cotton should darken with time to an olive color according to it's manufacturer. I had some color grown socks once and loved how they changed and softened with time. I hope that I love this bag just as much.
I sewed a base of buckram into the lining to give the bottom extra support and body. A recent excursion to Crafter's Choice book club yeilded some new books on various crafts and one of my favorites is a book on making and embelishing bags. They suggest buckram for support so I thought I'd give it a try. I LOVE BUCKRAM! Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Karina said...

ooohhh very nice!

Jennifer said...

what a cute bag! can't wait to see the cute handles u pick out to go with it. maybe joann's has some?

Christi said...

Looks great!!

Janet Richards said...

Love the bag!